SALTED BROWN SUGAR TOFFEE COOKIES

Salted Brown Sugar Toffee Cookies // Wit & Vinegar

For the past couple of years, Lindsay over at Love and Olive Oil and Julie at The Little Kitchen have been putting on a big fabulous internet extravaganza called The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. Basically cookies were in everyone’s faces as bloggers swapped a dozen cookies with three other bloggers then ate the whole three dozen by themselves. I could have swore I read somewhere that we got a pair of pajama jeans for post cookie inhaling.

My contribution for this sugar explosion was something to use up all the brown sugar I’ve been making because I’ve been a brown sugar factory and I feel so Ina about it. You know how she is with chicken stock, that’s me with brown sugar. I’m basically one crisp white shirt and a barn away from being as fabulous as she is.

When I had made all the brown sugar in the world I had two recipes set aside: my one bowl blondies and Joy’s brown sugar cookies. I figured that Joy’s would be easier to ship so I made a double batch, threw in some toffee bits, and sprinkles a little Maldon on top.

OO. WEE.

Salted Brown Sugar Toffee Cookies and Printable // Wit & Vinegar

These babies stay nice and chewy thanks to the brown sugar, are practically screaming MAKE ME INTO AN ICE CREAM SANDWICH, and are perfect for gift giving this year. Joy describes them as chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips and that’s totally what they are. We sneak some ginger and cinnamon in there, just enough to be like hey gurl not hey gurl heyy and it makes me think that they’re holiday cookie royalty.

When I sent my batches out to the other bloggers I got them bagged up and taped some keewwt labels on there aaand I gave them some fresh brown sugar because that’s who I am now. Also confetti was involved because duh. Rectangle shaped hole punches FTW!

On top of all this business, I’ve included a printaabbllllle! That tag up there gets printed out, folded and stapled to a clear bag (4x9x2). How easy is that?!

BRB I need to starch my shirt.

Salted Brown Sugar Toffee Cookies

sort of adapted but not really from Joy the Baker

makes about 2 1/2 dozen with a medium cookie scoop

2 c all-purpose flour

2 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1/2 t ground cinnamon

1/2 t ground ginger

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

1 1/4 c dark brown sugar

1 t vanilla extract

1 large egg

1/2 c toffee bits

maybe a chopped up bar of chocolate?

flaky sea salt

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.

Place butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed for one minute more.

Add the dry ingredients, all at once, to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat on low speed until the dough begins to come together and the flour disappears. Stop the mixer and add the toffee bits. Finish incorporating the ingredients with a spatula. Once all the flour is thoroughly mixed in, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 halfway through that waiting time and place some parchment paper on a cookie sheet. PARCHMENT PAPER IS YOUR BEST COOKIE BAKING FRIEND.

Scoop dough onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with that flaky sea salt. Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes if baking two sheets at a time (8-10 if using one sheet), or until lightly browned around the edges. DON’T OVERBAKE. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will last, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 5 days.

55 thoughts on “SALTED BROWN SUGAR TOFFEE COOKIES

1. Melissa @ Treats With a Twist

OMG where do I even start??
    Pajama Jeans?! Hahaha! Can I get a Snuggie too please? I need some comfort after all the cookies!
    Ina! Either white, black, or denim…collar popped. Puhlease. Only the best ;)
    OMG the glitter confetti! At first I didn’t notice that it was in the box…until I was all “um hey where is all of this bangin confetti that’s in my carpet coming from??” Miracle from the glitter gods? Um, not really…just from my Cookie God!
    Seriously, amazing. My husband kept saying “so… where are the cookies?” and I’d be like “what cookies? the [insert random other cookie here] ones?” and he’d say “you know which ones I’m talking about”…
    And I’d run to the fridge and freezer and stash them a little deeper. Haha. Yes, I gave him 2 ;) I’m so nice! Haha.
    LOVE!!

2. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar

Cookie swaps are so fun, and I would do a serious high kick of happiness if I received these! Love the toffee in there…and the sea salt! Also, I couldn’t agree more on parchment paper’s awesomeness. I think about cuddling it sometimes after a long cookie bake.

1. Billy Post author

ohmygod, right? I never used it until last year when it was on sale at the grocery store. Now I tell everyone about it if they bake cookies. TOTAL MAGIC.

3. Nicole

And now I am picturing you making brown sugar in an oversized (but crisp!) white shirt with the collar popped and it makes me happy. You are the cookie swap partner everyone dreams about!

4. DessertForTwo

You’re so fabulous. Have you seen the memes on Pinterest where Ina says something like ‘if you don’t have time to travel to Madagascar to obtain fresh vanilla beans, store bought is fine.’ Love that. Love these cookies, you brown sugar fool :)

5. Lindsay

I am not ashamed to admit I ate the entire dozen by myself.

Pajama jeans… we’ll have to consider that one next year. New brand partner perhaps? :)

I loved how soft the cookies were. Especially after shipping them across country, cookies usually arrive slightly dry. But not these. It’s like you baked them and handed them to me minutes later. :) LOVE!

6. Reannon

You have totally convinced me I need to make the cookies NOW even though I have no time! I may sub something out of my christmas baking so I can sub these in!

7. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! – Shutterbean

1. Billy Post author

thank you! They’re super great, especially if you underbake em by about a min. also the addition of macadamia nuts would be whoaa.

1. Billy Post author

Thanks Shikha! There should be a link to the printable sheet above, just print em out and cut them up and fold in half. I stapled mine to the bags.

8. Pingback: Wintertime Favorites

9. Pingback: Homemade Eggnog | blah blah birds

10. J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats

A) Adore that you recognize how magical Ina is! Giada who? I want to be Ina when I grow up.

B) And given that sometimes I try to eat around all the chocolate chips in chocolate chip cookies this is the perfect recipe to try. Much less labor intensive.

11. Pingback: These are a few of my favorite things…. (1/8) | Abbott House Adventures

12. Pingback: Friday Five: Read All About It | Liv, Love, Laugh

13. ALESSANDRA @ THE FOODIE TEEN

erm OKAY. I just found your blog (cliche, I know, and I couldn’t be bothered to google how to write that funky e with a stripe) and I AM IN LOVE. I love that you sent people brown sugar, that’s amazing. If Ina Garten had kids, can I be your child Garten? Wait, never mind, I googled that and she has a kid named Phoebe. I like the name Phoebe. Okay then, so can I be your Phoebe Garten?

14. Lynna

OMG. I just found your blog and crap, I`m already in love with it (I even added it to my reader and everything). I legit-ly LOL while reading this post. Definitely bookmarking this recipe.

15. Pingback: These are a few of my favorite things… NEW GIRL <3 | Abbott House Adventures

16. Pingback: A few of my favourite things… | Love & Paris

17. Pingback: Life Lately via Instagram + all the holiday goodies! | Ambitious Kitchen