BUTTERNUT SQUASH & CHORIZO SHELLS

Butternut Squash & Chorizo Shells // Wit & Vinegar

FALL IS UPON US. Sort of.

It’s fall enough to have some butternut squash in my face, it’s fall enough for me to want to smash open a can of pumpkin every time I open the cupboard, and it’s fall enough for me to wear every sweater I own all at once and look for a beanie that actually fits my enormous alien head.

Today was the first day in a while that it was actually cold. While I was on campus. With no sweatshirt. Of course. But it made me crave some butternut squash. It’s weird because I really can’t stand butternut squash unless it’s serving as a mean blanket for pasta and cheese. It’s the same with sweet potatoes except those are never allowed in my house. Sorry Oprah.

Butternut Squash & Chorizo Shells // Wit & Vinegar

It’s been a while since I’ve had the butternut squash pasta so I took another crack at it, this time adding one of my favorite things: chorizo. There’s just something about the spicy chorizo layered with the sweetness from the butternut squash that makes me want to make out with a bowl of pasta just a little bit more than usual. Let’s get our carb on.

Butternut Squash & Chorizo Shells (or whatever pasta you love)

Makes enough for six people or two carb obsessed men

1 lb pasta

4 c cubed butternut squash, from approx. a 1 1/2 lb squash (GREAT HOW TO)

1 1/2 c milk, I used 2%

1 c chicken stock

12 oz chorizo, not the cured stuff. You want it to add to the sauce.

1 1/2 c sharp cheddar

salt and pepper

3/4 c panko bread crumbs

olive oil

First off, get a big pot of water going for the pasta and preheat the oven to 375.

In a medium sized saucepan place squash, milk, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 min, or until the squash is fork tender. Place in blender and let cool for a couple min.

Toss your pasta in the water that should be boiling. Set a timer for a minute less than what the box says to cook it.

Rinse out saucepan and add chorizo, cooking over medium heat until meat is cooked through and most of the fat has rendered, about 5 min.

Blend the squash milk stock mixture until smooth, about 30 sec. Add to chorizo, stir in cheese. Tatse to see if it needs salt and pepper. This totally depends on your cheese, chicken stock, and chorizo.

Drain pasta once the timer goes off, and add to a greased 9×13″ pan. Pour sauce over it and gently mix. Top with panko, then drizzle with olive oil. Add a sprinkle of cheese of your cheese loving heart desires. Bake for 20-30 min, until golden brown and ready for you to faceplant.

51 thoughts on “BUTTERNUT SQUASH & CHORIZO SHELLS

1. Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough

You have an enormous alien head, TOO?!?!?!

I mean, you want to smash open a can of pumpkin every time you open the cupboard, too? TWINSIES.

Also I want to smash my face into this dish of carb heaven.

P.S. I totally just bought that same towel from the Targets last week. TWINSIES.

2. Erika

It’s still hot as hell here in the A, so I don’t know nuthin about that sweater weather yet. But you can still t-shirt cannon me that entire casserole dish. okthanks.

3. Eileen

Spicy chorizo and sweet squash sound like the best possible match. Now I just need it to get dank and gloomy out so I can make & eat this in the proper environment! :)

4. dana

I’ve missed you! Where you have been BILLAY? In San Francisco meeting up with Shutterbean or WHAT? Oh wait, you totally were. In any case, more posts more posts more posts!

5. Millie

ASDFGHJKLJCX BI SCIHWSCB YOU JUST BLEW MY BRAIN. This looks like the most delicious thing created on the planet!!!!

Ps. Do you mind checking out my blog? Thanks! :)

6. Pingback: Sunday Supplements: FIRST EDITION! | The Sugar Hit

7. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease

9. angela@spinachtiger

This is the dish that will make my husband run to the jewelry store. Reality in our case, Amazon for a new camera lens or a new mac. But, can I just say I had to click over as soon as I saw the words Chorizo. Pinning and making.

10. Pingback: Frugal Foodie Digest #2 | Poor as Folk

11. Megan

Ahhhhhhh!!!! So amazing!!!! My husband, and two year old son,and I all loooooved this!!!!! I even put siracha on mine (figured two birds, one stone since I had also seen your link to siracha mac and cheese). This is going straight in my menu rotation. Seriously, the boys can’t get enough!!!! It’s a win!

12. Pingback: Not-Sicky | newemcee

1. Billy Post author

Hey Christina! The cured kind is usually more firm, while the uncured chorizo has more of a raw squishy consistency. Most brands also say on the package somewhere.

13. Pingback: All Things Thursday: 1st Edition - I bake he shoots

14. MK

Great dish Рreally yummy! I used andouille sausage, saut̩ed w/onion and added parmesan cheese s & p to the bread crumbs along with a few TBS of EVOO Рmade the topping really tasty.

15. Pingback: Music Mania 2 / Dance, Cook, Dance