BLACKBERRY PIE BARS

Blackberry Pie Bars // Wit & Vinegar

Am I the only one that doesn’t really care for fruit pie (apple excluded, obvs)? So much mushy filling, so little crust. When I was a kid I would usually eat the crust and leave the berries. And ask for extra ice cream. I was a lemon meringue kind of kid.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: Billy you just gave me blackberry fruit pie bars. Get your shit together.

Here’s what I’m thinking: Thin single layer of blackberries and a nice mega layer of pie crust. I’ve got it together, I’ve got it going on.

When I first saw these on Smitten Kitchen I was like what? yes. let’s do this. Then I went and priced out blueberries. They aren’t affordable in my area yet. Aren’t affordable as in the blueberries alone would have been $15 for this recipe. Deb says you can use frozen, but I wanted to take advantage of the fresh berry season. So I went for blackberries.

Hot damn am I happy about that.

Blackberry Pie Bars // Wit & Vinegar

When I tried the first bar after they had barely cooled, I wasn’t sold. It was okay. eh.

Then I let them refrigerate overnight and ate three for breakfast the next morning. Then a couple more for lunch. Before I knew it there were like 5 left. I don’t want to talk about it.

I said I don’t want to talk about it.

But we can talk about how fantastic these are. They’re perfect for BBQs, picnics, and re-creations of the opening credits of sound of music, like this:

Julie Andrews loves pie bars

Look how happy Julie is about these pie bars.

You can try any berry you want in there, maybe even some fresh cherries? But I warn you: do not try it with strawberries. Cooked strawberries turn gray and gross. You’ve been warned.

Now, let’s make some pie bars and impress people and/or do some meadow running.

Blackberry Pie Bars
Adapted, barely, from Smitten Kitchen

1 c white sugar
1 t baking powder
3 c all-purpose flour
1 c cold unsalted butter (2 sticks, cubed up)
1 egg
1/4 t salt
Zest and juice of one lemon
18 oz package blackberries, roughly 3 c
1/2 c white sugar
4 t cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375, grease up a 9×13″ pan.

In a very large bowl whisk together sugar, baking powder, flour, salt, and lemon zest.

Using a fork, a pastry cutter, or your incredibly strong swedish massage hands, incorporate the cold cubed butter and egg into the flour mixture until it’s crumbly. Deb has a good picture of what it should look like. Don’t get too crazy and make it look like sand.

In another bowl combine lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar. Gently toss with blackberries.

Pat half the dough mixture into the pan. Top with blackberries, then crumble over the rest of the dough. Bake for 35-50 min until top is golden brown. I know this is a huge time window, but It too mine about 35, I almost burned mine. I don;t want this to happen to you, so start checking at 35 min and then about every 5 min.

LET THEM COOL COMPLETELY THEN PUT THEM IN THE FRIDGE FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF HOURS.

Now you can proceed with cutting them up and eating several in one sitting.

54 thoughts on “BLACKBERRY PIE BARS

1. Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)

Just discovered your blog! These bars look fantastic–I have a feeling I would prefer blackberry over blueberry anyway. I have cooked with frozen wild blueberries before, and they are much better than regular–simply because the flavor is much more concentrated.

Cracked up at the Sound of Music picture! Hilarious. Can’t wait to explore more…

1. Billy Post author

Thank You! and I think I’ll definitely try some frozen blueberries here pretty soon if I can’t get my hands on some fresh ones.

2. Megan

Can I just say that that first photo makes me want to punch dance someone in the face because I love it so much!? These look REDONK, as in SO perfect. haha and Maria! She just is spinning with joy about these obvz.

1. Billy Post author

YEEEAASSSS!!! Punch dance a whole line of people! And obvs Maria is just stoked as hell to have her hands on those pie bars.

3. Kate

Ohmygawd. I’m glad you got your shit together and made these. Thanks for the heads up on the strawberries: I have a ton and they were my first thought. I think I have some other frozen berry and these will be made shortly and when blackberries become available here in August/Sept, I’ll make ‘em again.

1. Billy Post author

Right?! I totally thought strawberries would be a good idea, and they’re far less expensive but they just turned out kind of mushy and flavorless :/ I have confidence in most other berries though!

4. Pingback: GROCERY LIST XVII | Wit & Vinegar

5. Pingback: Ready for the Weekend | East Coast Girl

6. Karen

Big up to Joanna for linking you, as this is awesome!
    You made me smile!
    Damn blueberries for their diamond prices. Blackberry it is.

7. Kelsey

Made them with raspberries – turned out great! Didn’t have cornstarch in the pantry so I just added a couple teaspoons of flour to berries.

8. Allison

Made these with fresh strawberries a few weeks ago and turned out great! The lemon zest adds a bit more flavor to the filling! :)

9. Mallory

I’m totally with you when it comes to your feelings towards pie. Lemon meringue all the way! Actually you can get rid of the meringue and the crust and just feed me the lemon pudding and I’ll be a happy camper.

10. Pingback: 32 Delicious Things To Eat On Memorial Day - The Proper Man

11. Carolina

These look SO amazing!! Like crazy OMFG a professional French baker made these ridiculously beautiful pie bars. Lol

12. Pingback: Food – Delicious Things To Eat On Memorial Day | Everything Cool

13. Pingback: 100 Most Irresistible Seasonal Recipes with Summer Fruit | Sensual AppealSensual Appeal

14. Therese

Haha–only “Maria” would hoist Blackberry Bars when there is no Sports Authority in the Alps to yank down some wrist weights. A snack and a workout in the mountains before getting back to that pile of kids……love it!

15. Pingback: We Sure Are Frond of this Week's Local Box!|Greenling Austin|San Antonio

16. Vivienne Nonis

Ok, so picture of Julie Andrews had me hooked. Now I want to make these bars and see if I can be as happy as her … although there are no such mountains here in the Netherlands. I shall have to remedy this by going to Switzerland or actually driving to Salzburg.

17. Larry

OMG I’m dyyyyyyyyyyyying over that photo of Julie Andrews doing gay spins with those bars in hand.
    I wish I could insert an emoticon here! UGHHHH

18. Erin

If you want to do a strawberry similar type pie-ish one, Martha Stewart has a recipe (think she calls it a cake) that is super yummy and easy. Strawberries go on top, so maybe that helps? Idk, but I prefer black berries, so trying this soon!

19. Pingback: Food Blogger Spotlight: Billy from Wit & Vinegar

20. Pingback: Blackberry Pie Bars | The Texan New Yorker

21. Julie @ Texan New Yorker

Hey, thanks for posting these, I made them over the weekend and they are so delicious! I took them to a family reunion gathering and everyone raved, including little kids. I did take your advice and let them cool, then sit in the fridge overnight before sampling. They’re amazing. I blogged them today, too. Thanks again!

22. Bonnie

Planning to make these for the 4th of July – had them bookmarked for just the right occasion! :) The fact that they are better when chilled makes them great for travel.
    A question, though: do you think you could bring the dough together by pulsing in a food processor?
    Thanks!! Your blog is great. :)

1. Billy Post author

Hi Bonnie! You could definitely use a food processor, just be sure to not over process. You want the butter to be roughly the size of peas. I would blend the egg in first before the butter too just because it might be more difficult to get it distributed once the butter’s in there!

23. Jb

Found your site in a buzzfeed article. Just bookmarked the website because of the beautiful pics and funny content. I’m going to make these bars with cherries today.

1. Billy Post author

YES! I just did this the other day! A good addition with cherries is about 2/3 cups finely chopped pistachios added to the second half of the dough for the crumble topping.

24. Pingback: 31 Glorious Berry Desserts To Make This Summer | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

25. JB

Do you think this will work with peaches? I have a ton of ripe peaches and I loved doing this with cherries and a raspberry/blueberry mixture a while ago